December 18, 2017, Meeting Follow Up
1. Public Comment
- Not all 30 slots were filled, many speakers absent
- AISD Police raised concern about compensation structure—many new hires are making more than experienced police officers, and staffing—officers sometimes monitor large patrol areas alone.
- Trustees Teich, Wagner, and Anderson asked Superintendent Cruz to give them an update on the AISD Police, as a result
- Speakers raised concerns about school consolidations/closings
2. Consent Agenda & Considerations:
- Consent Agenda passed unanimously
- Trustee Gordon was absent for the entire meeting. Trustee Elenz was absent after Public Comment. Neither participated in any votes.
- Agreements with UT pass unanimously (IPSI, GEAR UP, and The Institute for Restorative Justice and Restorative Dialogue)
- Agreement with City of Austin on land development ordinance for schools in the Barton Springs Zone passes 6-0-1, Trustee Wagner abstained.
3. Superintendent’s Report:
- Discussed frozen schools and transfer procedures for SY 2018-19
- Board voted to approve the Scorecard to evaluate the superintendent, passed 6-1-0 with Trustee Mathias voting no.