1. Public Comment
- All 30 slots filled
- Speakers spoke out against the district’s continued partnership with Celebration Church, arguing that makes AISD a less inclusive space for LGBTQ students.
- People spoke on both sides of sex education curriculum debate. Some urged Trustees to approve the new curriculum in August, and others believe the curriculum is inappropriate and the selection process was flawed.
2. Public Hearing
- 4 people signed up to speak
- All thanked the Trustees for the new employee compensation plan, giving teachers, counselors, and librarians with 5 years experience a 7% raise, and all other employees a 6% raise.
3. Consent Agenda & Considerations
- Consent Agenda Items 10.1 – 11.3, 11.6 – 11.7, 12.2 – 13.5 passed unanimously
- Appointment of the Principal Hill ES and approval of various MOUs with universities
- Items Pulled for Separate Vote
- Appointment of an Equity Officer for AISD
- Stephanie Hawley will start Aug. 1.
- Community Impact Article
- Adoption of proposed Texas Association of School Boards’ advocacy agenda
- Read all of TASB’s resolutions on BoardDocs Item 14.8
4. Superintendent’s Report
- Recommended FY2020 Budget
- Employee Compensation Plan includes across the board raises for school employees.
- Dress Code Update
- The board voted to update the district’s dress code for the first time since 2007. AISD said the goal of the update was to make sure students aren’t disciplined for clothing choices based on gender, gender identity, racial identity, religion, sexual orientation or body type.